Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sarmust

So I've been tracking drums for and rehearsing with Sarmust, brainchild of Omar Waqar. It's a kind of Indie Rock with a subcontinental influence. I saw Omar's ad back in July 2011and thought this project might just be weird enough to get myself involved. I've long had an infatuation with the native music of India and Pakistan, dating back to my high school days when I'd watch Bollywood music videos on saturday mornings, utterly flabbergasted but unable to look away. That led to a discovery of the classical music of the area and artists like Zakir Hussein, Ravi Shankar, Trilok Gurtu and John McLaughlin's Shakti project.

So I got in touch with Omar and we traded some tunes. We decided it was a good match and made plans to get started. Then life intervened and I wasn't able to get started on the project until November 2011 but it's been fun since. Omar's got a slew of tunes written and it's been fun hashing them out, writing drum parts and recording them in my basement studio.

So look for updates here on the progress of the album- I have high hopes that it'll be strange and beautiful. Check out Omar's other projects at suchrecords.com.


No comments: